You, my little Hay Lin, will be free and light as the air!
Hay Lin was born on June 4th and was raised in the town of Heatherfield. She is feisty, confident, pretty, full of energy, and very optimistic and determined.
She is one of the five teenage girls who are chosen to be the new Guardians of Kandrakar. Their mission is to protect Kandrakar; the center of the universe and the other planets from evil.
- 1 Appearance
- 2 Personality
- 3 Plot
- 4 Powers and abilities
- 5 Relationships
- 6 Appearances
- 7 Trivia
- 8 Gallery
- 9 References
Hay Lin's family is of Chinese origin. She has long blue-black hair which she usually wears in two pigtails and brown eyes. She often wears bright-colored clothes. Part way through the series, she begins to wear dental braces, which she later had removed.
While Taranee's uniform is more fit for mobility, Hay Lin's seems to put emphasis on grace and freedom. However, it is also the most revealing. It consists of a small, teal, cropped top whose sleeves curls around her shoulders, and a purple, knee-length skirt with slits at the sides, revealing most of her legs. A beaded cord is tied around the waistband, similar to how she wears skirts in her civilian clothes. She sports purple Mary Janes as well as turquoise and green-striped tights.
In the New Power Arc, her uniform seems to be loosely based on a cheongsam. Her top appears to be the upper half of a cheongsam mixed with a halter top. Her skirt has grown long and wispy, and the beaded cords are gone. Instead, they are replaced with matching purple bands that hug her rib area. She also has more bands around her arms, except these are teal-colored, and she wears black, fingerless gloves. Her hair has grown longer and parts of it are styled into traditional Chinese buns.
Hay Lin is something of a free spirit: she's absent-minded, but at the same time extremely creative, talented and insightful when it comes to people around her. She loves to draw, paint, and sketch. It is no surprise that her favorite subject in school is art. She has a sense of humor rivaling that of Irma's. She is a slight comic-alien geek because of her love to collect comics and alien collectibles. She enjoys just about anything related to science fiction, air, or art. Her quirky style spills into dialect as well, with idiosyncratic expressions like "cosmic", "spacious" and "weirdific"(in place of more mainstream options like: "cool"). In the Spanish version of the comic, she often exclaimed: "Yap!" Hay Lin is not superb at Physical Education, as shown when she herself once says she shall need to get into shape after running.
Her family owns a Chinese restaurant called The Silver Dragon where she often works at to help her family out. She has a habit of writing people's names, dates, numbers, and anything else that might come in handy on the back of her hand, or arm so she does not forget anything important during one of her creative brainstorms. She has a huge crush on the new boy in town, Eric Lyndon, who likes her just as much. Hay Lin had her first kiss with Eric.
Hay Lin works at her family's restaurant and goes to school at Sheffield Institute. She would often goof around in her classes. Once, she was assigned the task of making a simple kite for a school project. She decided to make an overly fancy Chinese dragon kite and spent all night working on it. Her teacher failed her before Hay Lin even had a chance to fly it because her teacher assumed it would not fly on its own and that it was far too heavy to even lift off the ground.
Powers and abilities
- Main article: Hay Lin/Power development (TV series)
Hay Lin has the power over Air and can manipulate and control various aspects of said element, including wind and clouds, she can even turn her breath into a weapon for both versions. Hay Lin can move objects using her elemental power, and in the comics, she is the only member of the group who can fly until Arc 7: New Power, both in and out of her Guardian form, but can temporarily give others the ability to fly. In the TV series, Hay Lin is the one who can fly the highest and quickest among them. She can conjure clouds and even use her power to soundproof rooms, as she did in the Arc 2: Nerissa's Revenge and Arc 1: The Twelve Portals, respectively. Hay Lin has shown an ability to control the temperature of the air, and often uses this power to freeze enemies. She can also create air bubbles for traveling underwater and can hear things on the wind because of the sound waves that travel through the air.
Advanced elemental abilities
Hay Lin can recall a person's memories by listening to their favorite music and creating sonograms with the sound to show them the images of their past, and also learn the history of an object by the sound it makes. When she does this, she is feeling the atmospheres the object was in and how it was touched. In the TV series, Hay Lin is the only one who can become invisible and make other things invisible. In the comics, all the girls can become invisible. At some point, Hay Lin has managed to do shape shifting. Also in the TV series, she was capable of Empathic Precognition; if she's thinking strongly of someone before she sleeps, she can see what will happen to them in the future, like she did with Elyon before her coronation.
When she becomes one with the air dragons in "Z Is For Zenith", she becomes an air-like being with her pigtails swirling around her like a cyclone.
- Aerokinesis: She has the power over air and can manipulate aspects of said element. Capable of conjuring clouds, create (highly destructive) windstorms and tornadoes, control temperature of air, freeze people and objects, create air-bubbles for traveling underwater, create breathable oxygen, suck the air and wind out of living beings. Use her breath as a weapon. In simple terms she can manipulate any aspects of said element.
- Aerokinetic constructs: Create a multitude of shapes out of air such as weapons, animals, and creatures. She can also use air shields.
- Steam Manipulation: Manipulate and control steam (as it is a form of a gas element).
- Telekinesis (simulated): Use wind to move objects.
- Air Blasts: Shoot air blasts at her opponents.
- Vacuum Manipulation: She can remove oxygen in area.
- Superhuman Hearing.
- Invisibility: She can make herself and others completely invisible.
- Precognition: She can use empathic precognition (also seen as Premonitions).
- Superhuman Agility: She posses greatly strengthened and amplified agility.
- Flight: She has the ability to fly without transforming.
- Atmokinesis: Manipulate and control the weather and surrounding climate at will.
- Psychometry: Recall and read the memories and history of an object by touching it and closing her eyes.
- Soundproof Rooms.
- Shapeshifting Powers.
- Act as an empath.
- Transmute objects.
- Use her breath as wind.
- Give others and herself the ability to fly.
- Aeromancy: She can see vivid vision or scene through air.
Hay Lin powers, as her status as a Guardian include
- Flight (both in the TV series and comics).
- Make herself and others completely invisible (Both Show and Comic).
- Recall other people's memories.
The Star of Threbe: Hay Lin as well as the rest of the Guardians was rendered powerless due to the power of the Star of Threbe, used to find Elyon. The star renders powerless anyone who might prevent her from returning home. Ironically the star was created with the Heart of Kandrakar.
Hay Lin experienced her first love when Eric Lyndon comes to town, though their initial meeting differs between the TV series and the comics. In the TV series, she saw him out on the street and became enchanted with him at first sight. As Eric was immediately popular in school, Hay Lin hesitated to approach him and doubted that she had a chance to catch his attention even as he showed a great interest in her. This changed when he was endangered by Nerissa and Hay Lin finally conquered her fears by kissing him, starting the relationship.
In the comics, the two met during a near collision between his motorbike and her roller-skating, though neither was hurt. He came to visit her at The Silver Dragon and they continued to grow closer to one another.
Their time together was cut short when Eric moved to Open Hill with his parents and though the separation was hard for Hay Lin, they continued on a long-distance relationship, but Eric began to fade into the background of Hay Lin's life. Eventually, he stoppws appearing all together and Hay Lin moved on to a new crush implying the two have grown apart completely. In the New Power arc, Eric is given a passing mention but later, Hay Lin is said to have not yet fallen in love, effectively writing Eric out of her past.
In the Teach 2b W.I.T.C.H. arc, Hay Lin became acquainted with Liam who secretly stayed in her home. Hay Lin admitted to her grandmother that the boy is handsome and she was the most upset when Liam betrayed them, going so far as to slap him when he turned to her for help.
Hay Lin fell for rising rockstar Vincent Cohen, changing herself to fit the image of the girl he actually likes, Airin. This caused strain with her friends and her mother as Hay Lin threw away her previous interests and neglected her other responsibilities while in pursuit of Vincent's affections. Eventually, after sneaking out to his birthday party, she watched him and Airin kiss and was forced to accept that he doesn't love her. She continued to be friends with them both and later, seems to have caught the eye of another boy while studying in the library.
Hay Lin began a new long-term relationship with flute player Wesley Hampstead. Their relationship progressed smoothly and after a small time apart while Wesley left to tour with his uncle's orchestra, he returned and the two became an official couple.
- Hay Lin is the only member of W.I.T.C.H. that doesn't have a sibling.
- She is in the same class 7B as Taranee and Irma.
- She is 12 years old and is the youngest of all the girls.
- Her hobbies are drawing, designing clothes, science fiction stuff, and collecting comic books.
- She likes flying, a good comic book, and when she got away from her braces (although she got very used to them after a time).
- Hay Lin's dentist's name is Karl Jank
- She crashes against the fourth wall during the first episode when she flies for the first time.
- She is voiced by Liza del Mundo.
- She never has her hair down in the TV series, only in comic.
- In the TV series, Hay Lin is the only member of the Guardians to become a Trance Marcher more than once.
- In the TV series, Hay Lin is the first Guardian to appear on screen.
- Hay Lin is the character who had her Guardian outfit edited the most between the TV series and the comic, having her skirt lengthened, given stocking's like the other Guardians, and a change of shoes.
- In the TV series, she and Caleb are the only main characters to be descended from Guardians.
- Her favorite color is light blue
- It is slightly ironic that she is the Guardian of Air. While the show and comics use the classical Greek elements (Air, Water, Earth, and Fire), and the Chinese elements do not contain air, but rather Water, Fire, Earth, Wood and Metal.
- Main article: Hay Lin/Gallery
- T is for Trauma
- Issue 023: Good-bye!
- Issue 044: Never Alone Again
- Issue 002: The Twelve Portals
- Issue 001: Halloween
- Special Issue: The Year Before
- Issue 037: The Dispute
- C is for Changes
- Issue 011: The Crown of Light
- Issue 083: Back to Kandrakar
- Season One Episode 11 - The Stone of Threbe
- J is for Jewel
- L is for Loser
- Issue 018: Fragments of Summer
- Issue 103: That Which You Aren't
- Issue 119: Music In The Air
- Season One Episode 9 - Return of the Tracker
|W.I.T.C.H.||Will Vandom · Irma Lair · Taranee Cook · Cornelia Hale · Hay Lin · Orube|
|C.H.Y.K.N.||Cassidy · Halinor · Yan Lin · Kadma · Nerissa|
|Guardian elements||Quintessence · Water · Fire · Earth · Air|
|Items||Heart of Kandrakar · Aurameres|
|Background||Xin Jing · Four Dragons · Nymphs · Oracle · Kandrakar|