There isn’t an 'ew' loud enough.
Irma Lair is a fictional character in the W.I.T.C.H. comics and the TV series of the same name. She is one of the five teenage girls who are chosen to be the new Guardians of Kandrakar. Their mission is to protect Kandrakar, the center of the magical universe, and the other planets from evil.
Irma is a 13 year old teen, who is in eighth grade in season 1, and ninth grade in season 2 at Sheffield Institute. She has light-brown, slightly wavy hair and greenish-blue eyes. Her birthday is March 13, and her sign is Pisces. She is voiced by Candi Milo.
As the Guardian of Water, Irma controls water as well as having other advanced powers. Her theme color is turquoise and her symbol is a blue wave crest.
- 1 Appearance
- 2 Personality
- 3 Powers and abilities
- 4 Relationships
- 5 Appearances
- 6 Quotes
- 7 Trivia
- 8 Gallery
- 9 References
Irma is a 13 year old teen. She has shoulder length, light-brown, slightly wavy hair, and greenish-blue eyes.
Irma's Guardian outfit consists of a teal, slightly off-the-shoulder,
long sleeved top with a purple mini-skirt that has a slit at the left side. She also has turquoise and green-striped tights, and her shoes are ankle-high boots.
In the New Power Arc, her hair grows longer and curlier, and her costume changes. Instead of her ankle boots, she receives knee-high boots. Her shirt gets modified into a tank top that displays her Guardian emblem across the chest and covers her whole stomach area. Plus, her skirt goes down to her knees and has slits at the sides. She also gets long, black gloves that stop a few inches past her elbows.
In the USA theme song, she is shown with the teal shirt and purple skirt in the beginning, but in the end of the song, her clothes switch colors.
Irma is a spunky, cheerful, optimistic, and humorous person. Compared to the other members of W.I.T.C.H., she is the cockiest member of the team and she often appears to be the least serious as she is known to crack jokes about almost anyone she comes in contact with. Despite her tendency to joke around when faced with a problem, she is a kindhearted person who cares about those she has relationships with.
When necessary, she exhibits leadership qualities. Irma almost always wants to be center stage, and, depending on the person, can or can't hold grudges for long. She also has a big appetite, revealed by the time she devours all of Mrs. Rudolph's cookies without a care for them possibly being poisoned, unlike the other more cautious Guardians. Irma can be seen as the biggest flirt and boy expert of the group.
Powers and abilities
- Main article: Irma Lair/Power development (TV series)
Irma has the elemental ability to control and manipulate the element of Water and all of its three forms - liquid, solid, and gas. She eventually started controlling and manipulating bodies of liquid water to stop rushing water or create shapes like swords and can create a bubble of water filled with air to travel underwater. She can also control and manipulate the liquid water in the clouds to make it rain and control water pressure allowing water under her control to grab objects or even slice through metal, rock, steel, iron, and leather with ease. In the TV series she can create water out of thin air, possibly from the water vapor in the air, and attacks mostly with blasts of liquid water that she creates from her hands.
Irma also has the ability to manipulate the magical energy of water, which is manifested in the form of rays of turquoise. She can also use water for cutting objects and hold them by increasing water pressure.
Later, when the Guardians powers are fueled by the mystical energy used to create the Veil, they begin manifesting new, stronger powers and abilities. Irma gained the power and ability to influence people's actions, such as making her father go easy on her to avoid grounding or breaking another free from outside mind control. She could not override the effects of the Horn of Hypnos or Nerissa's enthrallment spell, but when the power of those things weakened she was able to break it.
Irma also displayed more control with her power over water able to freeze and evaporate it at will, dehydrating, AKA sucking the water out of beings, and creating a gigantic version of herself out of pure liquid water using herself as a nexus of this watery giant.
When she became one with the water dragon, she changed into a pure liquid water-like being. Irma's newest power is known as Scrying, the ability to foresee her present and future in various fluids and in lucid dreams.
The following is a list of powers, abilities, and other talents that Irma possesses:
- Hydrokinesis: She has the ability to manipulate, control and creation of water out of thin air (in the TV series and by the "New Power" comic arc).
- Hydrogenesis: Irma can create water from her own power, generating it out of nothing.
- Water Solidification: She can solidify water to grab object.
- Water Constructs: She can create various makeshift weapons such as swords, daggers, shields, barriers, and create animals such as snakes, tentacles, and birds to attack or defend.
- Water Walking: She can walk on water.
- Force-Field Generation: She can create force fields using water.
- Pressure Manipulation: She can alter the pressure of water to slice through objects.
- Water Propulsion: She can propel herself out from a mass of water.
- Rain Manipulation: She can control and summon rain such as light or heavy downpours.
- Cloud Creation: She can form clouds out of water molecules.
- Fog Generation: She can create thick fog, control steam.
- Cloud Generation/Steam Manipulation: She can create thick clouds of steam for cover.
- Tidal Wave Generation: She can create massive tidal waves, whirlpools, rainstorms, downpours, floods, tsunamis at will.
- Bodily Fluid Manipulation: She can control the fluids in person's body; controlling and manipulating the person against his or her will for puppet purposes.
- Body Temperature Manipulation: She can raise bodily temperatures.
- Chlorokinesis: She can control plant life by controlling the water inside.
- Water Mimicry: Literally become a being of pure liquid water.
- Cryokinesis: She can create, control and manipulate ice, snow, and hail at will.
- Hydro-Thermokinesis: She can super-heat and boil water and all other liquids to scalding temperatures.
- Aquatic Respiration: She can breathe underwater.
- Hydromancy: She can see vivid visions or scenes through water.
Besides controlling water, the Guardian also has the ability of:
- Telepathic Mind Control.
- Flight (only in the TV series).
- Glamouring (In other words, becoming older).
- Invisibility as seen in W.I.T.C.H. comics issue # 26.
- Use enhanced intuition.
- Change the physical appearance of herself and others.
- Scrying Powers: Foresee the future in various fluids and in lucid dreams.
- Embodiment: Create physical embodiments of herself.
- Color Manipulation: Change the color of fabric.
Throughout the series, Irma is shown to be boy-crazy and looking for a boyfriend. She even proudly said that she was and always will be a "gorgeous single". Even before the start of the series, in the special issue The Year Before, she was shown looking for a boyfriend. She went as far as believing Jewell, who has special psychic abilities, will keep his promise that he'll tell her who her boyfriend is going to be.
Flirtation with Andrew Hornby
Like most girls in the comics, Irma has sort of a love life. Irma is the only one in the comics who never had a relationship before, but unlike the others she tried the most to get a boy's attention. This first happened when she used her Guardian form to get into a club and meeting a popular boy from school, Andrew Hornby. However he ended up trying to kiss her too soon and accidentally Irma turned him into a toad. Irma tried to get his and other popular guys attention again by making her body grow. This backfired when her body almost did not change back due to almost losing her powers.
Martin Tubbs had a crush on Irma and since the beginning he tried to get her attention and trying to flirt with her. Irma at first was not interested in him, believing he was a dork and a nerd. When Irma's Astral Drop promised Martin to go on a date, the real Irma was forced to go with him despite her wishes. Despite her feelings and her dislike towards Martin, she found herself enjoying it and found Martin funny. Martin also helped her with her homework when Irma's grades were going down.
Later on, Astral Irma became so sick of Martin that she called him a dork and said to leave her alone in front of him. Because of this, Martin grew tired of Irma's behavior and decided to ignore her. When the Astral Drops disappeared Irma notices Martin ignoring her and tried to follow him and asked him to help her for homework again. However, Martin looked annoyed but still tried to be nice to her. Finally, later Irma talked to him and she told Martin to give up on them ever being more than friends. Martin understood and did not mind having a friendship with her, and so Martin became one of Irma's best friends.
As Irma became closer to Joel Wright, Martin started a relationship with his French pen-pal. This shocked and annoyed her. Irma also often tried to get Martin jealous with her being with Joel but it did not seem work. Irma also had a hard time focusing on Joel with Martin nearby implying she herself was starting to like Martin, or always liked him without knowing it and now with him not giving his full attention to her, she was missing it.
In Issue 050: It's Magical Anyway, a possible future showed that Irma has became interested in Martin who grows up to be a handsome young man.
Joel Wright, a friend of Matt's became close with Irma as they have many things in common, and also talked for hours about the subjects they love, music and especially Karmilla. Irma also blushes around him.
Though her relationship with Joel started off platonically, a mix up with a note to Karmilla made Joel think Irma was confessing feelings for him and led him to examine his own crush on her. Irma was at first hesitant to charge their relationship but decided to give him a chance. The two continued to hang out like good friends and while they don't explicitly state they are dating, Joel did at one point get jealous of her closeness to Martin until realizing the two are just friends.
During the Ragorlang Arc, Irma hosted Erin Peyton and helped her to find her missing brother, Kader. Upon meeting the older boy, Irma was immediately infatuated and he seemed to share the feeling. The brief romance ended when he returned home with Erin and she later regretted having let the chance at love slip by her.
In the new series, Irma reunited with a former flame, Stephen who she fell in love with on a school trip and who gave her a special ring, though she lost it. She found her ring while learning he's a member of the U18 vigilante group and she later revealed to him that she is a Guardian. He was the only person she told.
When Martin became attracted to foreign exchange student Sondra, Irma became annoyed with how he forgot about her. His overbearing crush continued to annoy her until she finally lashed out at him, insulting him harshly over the loudspeakers of Sheffield Institute, which truly hurt him. She later made her heartfelt apology and they sorted out their issues in that though he enjoys chasing her, she'll continue to reject him and both are okay with this.
Irma's crush on Andrew Hornby returned during season 2, though he only started to notice her after she joins the K-Ship broadcasting station, referring to her as "Lair On the Air". He respected her honest apology to Martin. After hearing Andrew tell the school that Trick or Treating was only for babies, Irma rejected the idea of going, which all her friends could tell was because oh him. Nonetheless, she bumped into Andrew while out with her brother, dressed as a pirate while he admitted to actually enjoying the holiday himself. He complimented her "costume" (really her Guardian form) and Irma's love for Halloween was renewed.
When Nerissa infiltrated the school as a student and cast a love spell over the boys, Irma became jealous and had to remind herself that neither were her boyfriends.
Irma lives in a house with her policeman father Tom Lair, her pesky 7 year old half-brother Christopher Lair, and Anna Lair, who is her stepmother in the comics and her biological mother in the TV series. In the comics, she has a pet turtle named Leafy, in whom she confides all her secrets.
That's Miss Miscreant to you, queen babe!
And you’d get the power of....mud?
- She is on the same class as Taranee and Hay Lin.
- Her favorite subject is “sort-of” Geography.
- Her favorite color is Turquoise.
- Her hobbies are relaxing, and listening to music if they count as hobbies. She also likes to swim, but will never start doing it competitively.
- For her, the best thing is Karmilla's new album, a big chocolate ice cream, and summertime in the beach.
- She doesn't like French tests, sweaty P.E. lessons, spiders, and the color pink.
- She absolutely hates Christopher.
- Irma has the most number of love interests than any of the other Guardians in both the comics and the TV series
- Her favorite pop star is Karmilla.
- She loves karaoke and can rap quite well.
- Irma is a female given name. The name comes from the Old High German irmin, meaning world.
- In the TV series, Irma is the only member of the Guardians who never became a Trance Marcher.
- Her birthday is March 13, and her zodiac sign is Pisces.
- In Issue 050: It's Magical Anyway her alternate future was a Dolphin Trainer, but in Issue 121: Ten Years Later her true future is to be a teacher.
- She likes taking long baths and showers, shopping, rock music and making up nicknames.
- Her idol is Karmilla, a rock singer; she's also a big fan of soccer player David Addams.
- Issue 002: The Twelve Portals
- Issue 006: Illusions and Lies
- L is for Loser
- C is for Changes
- G is for Garbage
- Z is for Zenith
- Issue 025: Water Shadows
- Issue 013: I Know Who You Are
- Issue 005: The Last Tear
- Special Issue: Planet Boys
- Issue 078: Fire
- Issue 079: Water
- Issue 083: Back to Kandrakar
- W is for Witch
|W.I.T.C.H.||Will Vandom · Irma Lair · Taranee Cook · Cornelia Hale · Hay Lin · Orube|
|C.H.Y.K.N.||Cassidy · Halinor · Yan Lin · Kadma · Nerissa|
|Guardian elements||Quintessence · Water · Fire · Earth · Air|
|Items||Heart of Kandrakar · Aurameres|
|Background||Xin Jing · Four Dragons · Nymphs · Oracle · Kandrakar|