- Main article: /Transcript
Phobos sends a group of Mogriffs, shape-shifting monsters, into Meridian to pose as and discredit the Guardians so Elyon will lose what little trust she has left in her friends. While the real Guardians do battle with the evil twins, Cornelia and Caleb try to persuade Elyon that Phobos is not as good as she believes, but she will not listen.
Caleb, however, does something to shake Elyon's faith in her new brother: he bows to her. Unnerved by this, Elyon is starting to suspect that Phobos is not telling her everything. Caleb takes the Book of Secrets and sealed inside there are the plans for Elyon. In the B-story, Cornelia finds out that Elyon, who's talking with her is the real Elyon.
- This episode was originally scripted as the 18th of season 1, but was pushed forward to the 17th slot for broadcasting purposes in the US. However, it remains episode 18 on all of the European DVD releases, as well as the Brazilian one.
- In the original episode order, three episodes in a row (starting from this one) feature the Book of Secrets, and the W.I.T.C.H. team trying to open it. The US order breaks up this group of episodes with Walk This Way.
- When we first see the Book of Secrets it seems to have a lock on its side, but later Hay Lin says that there is no lock. However, what looks like a lock on the book is unchanged in appearance, even in the same scene she says this. Hay Lin may have meant that there is no keyhole to try opening the book as she had been intending to do, as no keyhole is visible throughout the episode - implying that it is a magical lock that cannot be opened by physical means, which is further supported by its eventually being opened using the powers of the Seal of Phobos.
- In Ghosts of Elyon, Cornelia's portrait in Elyon's sketch-book was torn apart. In this episode, the picture is back in one piece. However, Elyon may have put it back together (perhaps with her powers) as she was seen holding the two pieces together at the end of that episode
- In It Resumes, Phobos senses the presence of the Heart of Kandrakar as soon as Irma, Taranee, Cornelia and Hay Lin sneak into the castle. But in this episode he doesn't, and only when he sees the other Guardians not transforming does he understand that Cornelia has the Heart. Possibly Phobos didn't sense the Heart of Kandrakar because the amulet wasn't always activated, as well as the fact that Cornelia was locked inside Elyon's bubble, so Elyon's stronger magic was blocking his own magical abilities and senses.
- This episode marks the first appearances of Herbert Olsen, Miranda, and Whisperers, as well as the Book of Secrets.
Behind the scenes
- Fan discussion of the original broadcasts of this episode at Anime Superhero (formerly Toon Zone). Some episode threads also feature posts by members of the crew that worked on the show, including Andrew Nicholls (Andrewjn) and Justine Cheynet (witchinsider).
- This episode was originally titled "Appearances Are Deceiving".
Boy, when a friend of yours goes bad, she really goes bad.
She must be under some kind of spell.
Oh come on, how do we know that? Elyon was born in Meridian. She's Phobos' sister. What if you've been going to school with the Queen of Evil since kindergarten?
|Heroes:||W.I.T.C.H. (Guardians) · Yan Lin · Elyon Brown · Caleb · Blunk · Vathek · Aldarn · Drake · Tynar · The Mage · Alborn · Miriadel|
|Villains:||Prince Phobos · Lord Cedric · Miranda · Tracker · Jeek · Raythor · Frost · Lothar|
|Items:||Heart of Kandrakar · Horn of Hypnos · Map of portals · Star of Threbe · Seal of Phobos · Book of Secrets · Spike wheel · Symbols of Elyon|
|Planets:||Earth · Meridian|
|Episodes:||01 · 02 · 03 · 04 · 05 · 06 · 07 · 08 · 09 · 10 · 11 · 12 · 13 · 14 · 15 · 16 · 17 · 18 · 19 · 20 · 21 · 22 · 23 · 24 · 25 · 26|